JULY PATRIOTIC MUFFINS THAT SPARK YOUR APPETITE
When you think of Fourth of July what do you think about? I think about spending time with family and friends, barbequing, hanging out by the lake or pool and eating food themed red, white & blue. Most of the time, we use holidays as an excuse to let ourselves enjoy some of those sweet snacks that may not be as healthy. While that is definitely okay, I’m here to tell you that you can have it both ways! Healthy AND delicious! I found the perfect Fourth of July (or any red, white & blue holiday, for that matter) Muffins to bring to your next party filled with a healthy substitution that will leave your taste buds begging for more! This recipe features Bluebonnet’s blueberry flavored Liquid Calcium Magnesium & Vitamin D3 in place of sugar. The bonus is that it adds in a blueberry-flavored sweetness that your guests will love while helping them meet their daily required intake of calcium (46%), magnesium (71%) and vitamin D3 (50%) for strong and healthy bones! Here’s the supplement facts box:
What I’ve done here is given you a traditional muffin recipe and then offered some simple substitutions to make a better-for-you version. You can do one sub or all – it’s up to you!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup dried cranberries
· Flour – wheat flour, nut flour, or coconut flour. I chose organic unbleached flour for this particular batch.
· Sugar – honey, agave, ripened bananas. This is where my Liquid Calcium Magnesium came in. I replaced the 1 cup of sugar with ¼ cup of Liquid Cal Mag.
· Eggs – flaxseed or chia seeds. I went with eggs.
· Oil/ Butter – applesauce, bananas, or nut butter.
· Adding in fresh fruit to any recipe makes it a better version. If you’re using dried fruit, go with the organic, unsweetened version when you can. I loved the combination of fresh blueberries and dried cranberries for this recipe.
Preheat oven to 350º.
Line muffin tin with paper muffin liners.
In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a separate mixing bowl, beat butter and Liquid Cal Mag. Add eggs, vanilla and milk and mix until well combined.
Add flour mixture and stir until blended.
Fold in blueberries and cranberries.
Divide batter evenly into muffin cups.
Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool before enjoying!
By: Jennifer Weinhardt, BS, MS/Bluebonnet Nutrition